« Les verbes français » (French Verbs) by Jean Dubois and Françoise Dubois-Charlier
This page is a browsing tool for an XML database created from the data in « Les verbes français » (LVF) by Jean Dubois and Françoise Dubois-Charlier (1997), which counts more than 25,610 French verb entries.
- More information on Les verbes français [Modyco]
- A brief presentation of the content of LVF [PDF 208K]
- A more thorough presentation of the underlying principles of the LVF [PDF 292K]
The XML file was produced through an XSLT transformation style sheet applied to the Excel version of the data, provided by Denis Le Pesant from Modyco (Le laboratoire Modèles, Dynamiques, Corpus, UMR 7114 du CNRS/Université de Paris 10). This study is in the line with the work of the FondamenTAL research group.
This XSLT transformation was originally written by Patrick Paul, under the supervision of Guy Lapalme, in August and September of 2008 at the RALI laboratory, at the Université de Montréal. This presentation (in French) outlines the methods used.
This document explains the organization of this site and compares the data from the LVF with that of other sites offering similar resources. More details are available in this article published in Langages in December of 2010.
The following sections allow access to dynamically generated HTML pages, from te data contained in the XML files.
This section reproduces the structures in pages 24 to 463 of the PDF book available upon request to Denis Le Pesant.
In alphabetical order
There is one page for each letter of the alphabet, grouping verbs according to their first letter. On each page, there is a table of verbs, similar to the way they are displayed in the book. The content and the organization of pages 464-549 of the book are reproduced.
One page by scheme (in French). Schemes can be accessed from the scheme index.
Entry lookup by regular expression (pattern)
The data in digital format
- XML data in a single file Zipped file [2.2 Mb] (28.6 Mb when unzipped!).
- Short excerpt of the XML data (45Kb): 37 entries corresponding to 6 distinct verbs starting with aba, i.e. abaisser (9), abalourdir, abandonner (13), abasourdir (2), abattre (11), abat-carrer.
This excerpt, which gives an idea of the format used, can easily be loaded into any text editor. Warning: it may prove necessary to view the "source" of the page if your web browswer insists on rendering the file as an HTML page.
- The RelaxNG schema, compact form for validating the XML file.
- XML data, with one file per verb, regrouping all its entries.
- Directory of XML files, listing the mapping between codes and class names, derivatives, domains, operators and schemes. Compressed version of this directory.
- XSLT stylesheet used for the conversion. This sheet assumes the presence of the CSV version of the original Excel file, available from Modyco.
- XSLT stylesheet used to slice the global XML file into directories, where each directory contains a single verb.
A version compatible with Mac OS X's Dictionary application
To integrate this dictionary of French verbs to the Dictionary application under Mac OS X, please follow these instructions.
- Download the compressed dictionary;
- Decompress the zip file by double-clicking on it, if your OS hasn't already decompressed the file;
- Move the file LVF.dictionary into the directory ~/Library/Dictionaries (create it if absent);
- Launch the application Dictionary and activate the LVF dictionary in the Preferences;
- It is possible to select which LVF fields to display, in the Preferences.
|June 2008||First version of this tool|
|June 2009||Added keyword and regular expresion lookup|
|March 2011||Integration of January 2011 corrections made to the LVF (Version 1.1)|
|Internal reorganisation of the XML structure|
Production of version compatible with the Dictionary application under Mac OS X.
Other sites using the LVF
Contact : Dr. Guy Lapalme